Freedom: change your mind to bless the obnoxious (like you & me?)

The idea that our first freedom is where we put our mind is a fundamental one that can guide our lives. For example, I was ruled by self-pity for many years and saw myself as the victim of others. The change in my thinking occurred as I began putting my mind elsewhere—on God as an abiding presence in my life, conscious that just maybe the Lord really is my Shepherd today and I just might have everything I need. 

When I understand that my first freedom is where I place my mind, I examine what I’ve been dwelling on the last few minutes. Regarding a certain person, what thoughts have I had about him or her? I have alternatives now. 

-I can change my thoughts and bless that person, especially if he or she is difficult for me in some way. 

-I can focus my mind on praying for that person. 

-I can ask God to guide me in some way to help that person. 

This idea also makes use of the VIM (Vision-Intention-Means) pattern. Where I put my mind creates my vision for the circumstances or persons in front of me. My intentions (attitude) and means (words of conversation, deeds of ignoring or caring) then flow from my vision. 

TODAY’S EXPERIMENT - Try moving through the next few hours with this idea in front of you: The first freedom is where I put my mind. Observe where you have put your mind. If you have not noticed the goodness of God in the blessings around you or found confidence in ideas like those found in Psalm 23, don’t make a big deal out of evaluating yourself. Instead, pray for the person or circumstances in front of your eyes at that moment. How might you will God’s goodness? Keep moving forward, alert to God’s goodness and asking God questions for guidance.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing/transforming our destructive ideas & images

Distorted images of God

Challenging our thinking toward more Spirit-oriented study & worship