YOUR way? How's that working for you?

“I did it myyyyyy way,” Frank Sinatra sang, to the gratification of millions who took him to be expressing their own proper “American” attitude. But Christians often sing with misplaced satisfaction, “We did it ourrrrrr way!” Ourrrrrr way is not necessarily right or good or even “better.” Of course it is not necessarily wrong or worse either. But we must be aware of the special danger of holding onto the contents of our thought life mainly because they are ours and therefore “obviously correct.” Arrogance of doctrine or tradition is still arrogance. It is one of the things God hates (Proverbs 8:13), and not just in “others.” It was first on the list of sins of Sodom, and it was what made possible the “abominations” more commonly associated with that place (Ezekiel 16:49-50).

A second danger, associated with the first, is that of simple ignorance of fact. A repeated story in Christian history is of those who have set out to prove the falsity of the way of Christ and wound up being his followers. This is, in nearly every case, simply because, in their quest, they were forced to examine facts and to think carefully about them. Therefore, as C. S. Lewis once pointed out, a “young atheist” can’t be too careful about what he reads and must steadfastly protect his ignorance.

But even the followers of Jesus fall into patterns of willing ignorance about important matters, including possible objections to faith in Christ and the beliefs and practices of others who are devoted to Christ. In fact, if we are to use our minds rightly, we must live in an attitude of constant openness and learning. Before we make judgments on any serious matter, have we looked into the facts of the case and have we carefully considered all their bearings? This is especially important with reference to those we disagree with or think we disagree with.

Too often we're allowing our desires to guide our thinking: especially the desire to prove we are right. 

I constantly and thoughtfully engage myself with the ideas, images, and information that are provided by God through the Scriptures, his Son Jesus, and the lives and experiences of his people through the ages. In doing that, I am constantly nourished by the Holy Spirit in ways far beyond my own efforts or understanding. What I receive in response to my efforts is therefore also a gift, a grace. Spiritual (trans)formation of my thought life is achieved by the ministry of the Spirit in the midst of my necessary and well-directed efforts. This has special importance when I am faced with the presence of evil and suffering in human life, my own or at large. I realize that I will either allow my view of evil to determine my view of God and will cut him down accordingly, or I will allow my view of God to determine my view of the evil and will elevate him accordingly, accepting that nothing is beyond his power for good. p. 110 THOUGHT-PROVOKING SOURCE



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing/transforming our destructive ideas & images

Distorted images of God

Retaking our toxic thought life