SOUL & BLOWING IT--Because the soul encompasses and “organizes” the whole person, it is frequently taken to be the person. We naturally treat persons as “souls.” But of course the soul is not the person. It is, rather, the deepest part of the self in terms of overall operations; and like the body, it has the capacity to operate (and does, largely, operate) without conscious supervision.

Today one of the most common rationalizations of sin or folly is, “Oh, I just blew it.” While there is some point to such a remark, it is not the one those who use it hope for. It does not exonerate them. While it may be true that there are other circumstances in which I would not have done the foolish or sinful thing I did, and while what I did may not represent me fully, “blowing it” does represent me fully. I am the kind of person who “blows it.” “Blowing it” shows who I am as a person. I am, through and through, in my deepest self, the kind of person who “blows it”—hardly a lovely and promising thing to be.

By standing in the correct relation to God through our will we can receive grace that will properly reorder the soul along with the other five components of the self.

It is the central point of this book that spiritual transformation only happens as each essential dimension of the human being is transformed to Christlikeness under the direction of a regenerate will interacting with constant overtures of grace from God. Such transformation is not the result of mere human effort and cannot be accomplished by putting pressure on the will (heart, spirit) alone. pp. 39-41

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing/transforming our destructive ideas & images

Distorted images of God

Retaking our toxic thought life